Monday, June 13, 2011

June 13

Obviously, this is not a daily blog, mostly because I don't have enough time to get on the computer and post every day. And, it is a pain to type one-handed. Once again, I'm awake in the middle of the night with a miserable baby. I think the poor little guy has a cold, which is making it harder to keep him from being too congested to nurse, even if I keep his head elevated after nursing.

Right now, Daddy is holding his son in the rocker with the humidifier going. The purpose is, of course, to give me a break so I can get some sleep. Unfortunately, sleep is slow in coming.

I am a deeply spiritual person, so prayer and meditation are very important to me. Much time, of late, has been spent in prayer. And though the last three months have probably been the most difficult of my life, on more than one occasion God has whispered in my heart reminders of His care and provision for me.

Just tonight, after laying my son in the strong arms of his daddy, I peered out the window and was filled with a tremendous sense of thankfulness; we have a warm house to keep our children protected from the elements, a swing set (and multiple other yard toys) to entertain them outside, we live in a safe neighborhood with great neighbors, and I have a husband to help care for a precious little baby boy in the middle of night, a blessing I haven't always enjoyed.

God's gentle reminder of His love and care has had a tremendous impact on my mood and attitude. I'm exhausted and have been battling a migraine (triggered by lack of sleep) for two days. Yet focusing on my blessings instead of complaining has filled my heart with joy. It is a profound gift. And, I'm suddenly feeling pleasantly sleepy.

If you are reading this as you care for a precious baby suffering from reflux, I encourage you to begin pondering what you have to be thankful for. It may be difficult at first, but don't give up. Not only am I confident you can put together a substantial list, but I am sure you will feel better after you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment